Sunday, March 26, 2006

Hope There's Someone, by Antony and the Johnsons


Maybe all art is a reflection on the nature of death. Why write, if not, also, in order to say, "I am afraid of dying"?

Oh I'm scared of the middle place
Between light and nowhere
I don't want to be the one
Left in there


Maybe the source of songwriting and storytelling is the need to express desires, wishes, fears and hopes. Maybe it is praying the "original origin" of writing, a need to say, "I hope I will not be alone".



Hope there's someone who'll take care of me
When I die
Will I go


Maybe we all have had that feeling when we go to bed at night. There, alone with our own fears, we look fixedly into the ceiling, and wonder about the meaning of it all; about what lies beyond what we think we can control. It's that very particular emotion of facing one's own end, in a deathbed perhaps, surrounded by the smell of tulips:


There's a ghost on the horizon
When I go to bed
How can I fall asleep at night
How will I rest my head


Maybe all true art is an interrogation of the meaning of life: an expression of the human consciousness of finiteness; the trascendental homelessness experienced when we, alone, in the dark, close our eyes and imagine our end.

Maybe all true art is an expression of hope. Maybe all great pop songs are prayers in their own way: I, too, hope there's someone...

4 comments:

Ernesto Sandoval said...

me lo has ganado...

ira said...

Such a simple and beautiful reflection can only be the result of many years of practise.

Unknown said...

Wise words. Thank you.

Yonique said...

There will definitely be someone when Jesus returns. God promises in His word. :)