Tuesday, July 25, 2006

High & Dry, by Radiohead


Nine years ago Ok Computer was released. Nine years ago I was 13 years old. Nine years ago Ok Computer was named "The best album ever". Nine years ago my uncle Mauricio gave me The Bends and told me: "This one's far better than Ok Computer, you don't need that depressive crap". I didn't understand what he meant with that. To this day, I still don't understand.
"High & Dry" was the first song I learnt to play in guitar. Three or four chords and I found it very complicated, the solo was easy, though. My first performance was in the Mother's Day Festival of 1998 at the junior high I studied at. I played with an Oasis fan from hell, but he allowed me to do this song. He played the second guitar and I played the solo Johnny Greenwood-like, leaned forward my head facing the guitar. All the mothers in the auditorium/gym didn't understand what was going on. My mother couldn't make it, fortunately she didn't see her son playing the fool.
It's been a while since I don't play "High & Dry", maybe I should dust off my guitar, plug it and...

2 comments:

Manolo said...

Ese año salieron grandes discos:
Ok computer, urban Hymns de the verve, the colour and the shape de los foo fighters, von de sigur ros, nimrod de greenday, clumsy de our lady peace, fat of the land de prodigy, homework de daft punk, science de incubus, young team de mogwai, Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space de spiritualized, ultra de depeche mode, blur, vanishing point de primal scream, y mas y mas... y yo solo tenía 14 maldita sea... aunque si hubiera sido en esta época tendría que asaltar un banco para comprarlos todos.

Monster Paperbag said...

my friend said once that Radiohead still writes beautiful songs now, but they don't write songs like "High and Dry" anymore.. i kinda agree..