Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Ordinary World, by Duran Duran



The best-known of all New Romantic bands, Duran Duran could be as corny as heart-shaped balloons.

And still, who who has ever been in love has not been corny?

Not their best song, of course, but Ordinary World synthetised -indeed- the New Romantic formula to its simplest elements. This was a guilty pleasure; a song I would cherish secretly. It spoke to me in a way other songs did not dare to: directly and without complex metaphors; just the present experience of having to go out and live in the "real" world after realizing love creates illusions that reality cannot stand. A song to listen to after being woken up, violently, from a sweet dream.

I remember one of those rainy Thursday evenings, when ghosts would pass hastily before me on my way home, and I would wish I could listen to this song.


Came in from a rainy thursday on the avenue
Thought I heard you talking softly.
I turned on the lights, the tv and the radio
Still I cant escape the ghost of you
What has happened to it all?


A simple song about coming back into the world; about being haunted, and hurt, and in mourning. Everything ends apruptly and all too soon, like this song.

A song about coming home and finding nothing but ghosts; a song about surviving the past and learning to live again.


But I won't cry for yesterday...


Yes, corny, like falling in and out of love.

3 comments:

Ernesto Sandoval said...

qué cagado, justo antes de llegar a donde estoy en este momento, venía oyendo en el iPod "ordinary world" y pensando en la letra de la rola.
saludos desde la soleada aguascalientes, tocayo.

Andrea Lopez Estrada said...

Esa canción me encantaba!!!! con ésa "re-descubrí" a Duran Duran, el video estaba más o menos. Hasta la fecha esa canción evoca el mismo sentimiento cada vez que la escucho: melancolía. Que buena canción, buen post

ira said...

En últimas fechas yo salto de placer culpable a placer culpable tan rápido que la culpa empieza a perder sentido. (No amanecí muy clara, lo siento pero por ahí vamos creciendo todos juntos)