Wednesday, May 24, 2006

North Country Blues, by Bob Dylan



I read the news yesterday.

Of all the depressing news about the state of the world, one strikes me the most: the front page features a photograph of the three children, aged 4, 2 and six months, two girls and a baby boy, who were abandoned by their mother in front of a Mexican nursing home, with a letter explaining she could not support them any longer.

I read the news yesterday.

Another picture grabs my attention: the wrinkled, grey hands of a Mexican migrant worker, crossing the desert with a crumpled picture of St. Judas, some lentils and a copper coin as his only possessions.

I've read the news, watched the newscasts about the situation of the miners all over the world, including the U.S. and Mexico. I have seen their faces, covered with coal and dirt, and that of their mourning families, covered with tears.

I am reminded of the first time I came to hear of these situations. Sadly, I begin humming North Country Blues, by Bob Dylan. The singer as narrator, gathering people around him, a story has to be told. And we will all learn something.

The true power of good pop music: to be relevant and memorable. To make an artistic, aesthetic, political comment about the world beyond the mere instantaneity of the present moment. To last.

Today, Bob Dylan turns 65. Thirty-five years ago, Charlie Brown famously said there was nothing more depressing than Dylan turning 30. I am damn sure there are much more depressing things. Even Chuck realized that.

Happy Birthday, Bob Dylan.


Powered by Castpost

1 comment:

Ernesto Sandoval said...

muy buena selección para celebrar al viejo bob. aunque sí, la situación está francamente de la chingada.
me tomaré la libertad de postear aquí algo sobre alguna de mis favoritas del chaparrito más adelante.