Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Three Days [Live at the Hollywood Palladium, 12/19/90], by Jane's Addiction


One of my very first MTV experiences was with some relatives I have in Aguascalientes; they had satellite TV with MTV every Sunday. I remember I saw a video by Jane's Addiction, "Been Caught Stealing", musically and visually it appealed to me. I must have been nine or ten years old. Several years passed by and, then I heard on the radio "their first new song in seven years", "So What!" from Kettle Whistle, a new album with rarities, new songs and live versions. I liked the song, but not that much. However, I bought the album because I had heard other songs at the record store and I liked it. I was 13 then. I was mesmerized with what I was listening, and when track 10 arrived, there was one of the most impressive moments I've had as a pop music fan. Perry Farrell yelling: "At this moment, you shouldn't be with us. Feeling like we do... Like we love to...". Then my favorite bass line of all time. The song growing and changing its rhtyhm unpredictably every three minutes. The lyrics, relating the experience Farrell had with his girl and a girl friend of them: "Three days was the morning light/Three lovers in three ways". I couldn't stop listening to the song for three or four weeks... until my mother threatened me with breaking the album. My classmates at the public junior high I was in all listened to Grupo Límite or Kabah, while I was playing at all volume in my walkman a copy I made of the album in cassette. Obviously, I was the class misfit and I spent the breaks alone. Still to this day, my mother can't listen to the song. "Three Days" [live], twelve minutes and "all of us with wings..."

No comments: